What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
William Henry Davies

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Project - Bedding and those who go to bed

I took one full copy of Today newspaper, tore it into strips like so:

Soaked them into a pail of water (which conveniently came from my dehumidifier, so it is chlorine-less), put them into a colander and dripped dry. Checked on it 5 minutes later, when all dripping ceased, but decided that it was still too wet, so proceeded to hand wring-dry the newspaper instead. Then discovered that wet, wrung dried newspaper is a lot lesser than originally thought, so shredded another copy of Today, and literally rinsed and repeat. So this is what I got:
Since the newspaper was hand-wrung, I had to separate the strips and "fluff" them up to make the bedding comfortable.

Now that it is all ready, who is going to lie on the bed? Hmmm.....

Having been a rescuer of worms, I decided to try getting my own worms out of my garden, instead of buying them from a supplier. Firstly, in the interests of cost, secondly, having seen the size of some of the worms I had rescued, I am convinced that somehow, my backyard seem to have a good solid colony of worms. Further research seems to indicate that I have Perionyx Excavatus (Malaysian Blues). They have a fascinating purplish-bluish sheen (in a icky-yucky sort of way) under a beam of light that fits the description, and are epigeic, as they seem to only like occupying the top 3 inches of my backyard soil. Anyway, I figure that if I got it wrong, and the worms don't work out, I can always go buy "real" worms later.

Anyway, here is what I dug out:

Since in theory, worm populations double every month under ideal conditions, I figured that I would not need to depopulate my backyard in an attempt to fill my worm farm. I got about 30-40 worms, and decided that that will do for starters.

4 comments:

Petunia Lee said...

Well done with those wormies!! I love your blog and your blogskin too!!

Cloudjade said...

Thanks, Petunialee! Your blog was the inspiration for it!

Stacey said...

The worms which you picked out from your backyard actually works? *Envious*
I have to spend $60 for 200grams of them. ~sob~

Cloudjade said...

Hi Stacey,
Just saw your comment. Yes, the worms from my back yard works, but remember that not all worms from the garden will work. It is only the ones that actually do the composting for your garden. Easiest way to get the correct type (without having to go to the trouble of identifying them) is to have a pile of leaves/fruit scraps in a small corner. The composting worms would naturally congregate there after a few weeks. Dig them out for your worm farm, then use that pile of leaves as part of your bedding.
Hope this helps!