What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
William Henry Davies

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

New Pond Renewed

It's been more than a year since I've set up my pond. I must say that the first batch of cubed mud that I had bought and used from a local nursery was very disappointing. I am now forced to re-pot all my water plants. It's way more back-breaking than I remember. And this time, I want to provide a good base for my plants, so I am actually mixing my own humic soil/clayey soil/sand mixture, with a base layer of blood and bone meal, and  packets of slow release packets wrapped in small pockets of newspaper. Took me 3 hours yesterday to re-pot 2 large-ish plants and clean out my lily pot. Today, another 4 hours to top up more soil, prune my lotus, top up more soil, dredge out the front of my pond, top up more soil.....

I must say, in spite of the hard work, it's great working in the pond. I'm hip deep in water, splashing around, mud splatters on my hands and clothes, fishes nibbling on my ankles and toes (just like those spa fishes), back aching like mad... but I'm happy.

New pond. New Year.

Happy New Year everybody!

No comments: