What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
William Henry Davies

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Perionyx Excavatus (Malaysian Blue Worm)

The Perionyx Excavatus is what I think I have in my backyard, and is what I have harvested for my wormy condo. It is an epigeic earthworm species. This means that they are found in the upper topsoil layer, which is rich in organic matter. Unlike anecic (upper and lower soil layers) and endogeic (lower soil layer) worms, they do not have permanent burrows, and therefore are most suitable for vermicomposting. They feed primarily on decaying organic matter, and not on soil or mineral matter.


Actually the Perionyx Excavatus is quite beautifully coloured (but I still maintain in an icky wormy sort of way) with an iridescent bluish-purplish sheen. Especially with bright light shining at certain angles. I know that many (especially North American) sites list them as small worms, but at least the ones I've seen can go up to 3 inches. By most accounts, they are capable of fast growth, and very fast reproductive rates. Some sites claim that their reproductive rates are highest among epigeic earthworms suitable for worm farms. By all accounts, they thrive in warmer climates, and become far more temperamental in cooler ones.


Some statistics:

  • Ideal temperature range : 21°C to 28°C
  • Reproduction rate under ideal conditions: ~ 19-20 young per week
  • Time to sexual maturity under ideal conditions: ~ 30-55 days   





2 comments:

Petunia Lee said...

Wow! This is a great resource for worms!!

Cloudjade said...

Thanks! I research information from multiple sites and add my own observations. Glad it's useful!