What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
William Henry Davies

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Garden Makeover - Part 2


This corner had out right killed a Red Powderpuff (Callliandra Haematocephala), one of my hubby's favourite plants, and shrivelled a Mulberry bush.

The Red Powderpuff had thrived very well for months after it was planted, and one fine day just shrivelled up and died. The Mulberry used to be in a pot, happily producing fruits, looking as handsome a Mulberry bush can be. I decided to free it from it's pot constraints, and it struggled in the corner. Suffered from almost every problem a Mulberry can: scale, fungal rot, aphids... even the leaves looked like it was contracting something similar to Verticillium Wilt.

So, this is what I did:


I dug it all out.

And I found concrete slab, cement wash, red bricks... All of that came out. I conveniently had an afternoon of rain after the digging and clearing, which had the hole looking like a pond, but it drained and cleared fairly easily.

So, my solution for this corner is a layer of expanded clay (which sits on top of the concrete base that supports the wall, followed by 1:2 pumice and volcanic soil mixture, followed by 1:3 volcanic sand and volcanic soil mixture.

No comments: